When you think of love, what comes to mind? A boy meeting a girl and falling head over heels? A grand gesture in front of a crowd of people? Or maybe something simpler, like two people who just click? For American man Scott, it was the latter. He met a Ukrainian woman named Olena online and they hit it off immediately. Within three years, they were married and Scott had moved to Ukraine to be with her. Living in a foreign country can be tough, but Scott says he’s never been happier. In this blog post, he talks about what it’s like to live in Ukraine as an American and how his relationship has flourished despite the cultural differences.
The couple’s story
The couple, who wished to remain anonymous (names are changed for their ask), met online about three years ago. Scott was living in the United States at the time and Olena was living in Ukraine. One day they started chatting and soon realized that they had a lot in common. They began dating long-distance and eventually decided to get married.
Scott flew to Ukraine and the two were married in a small ceremony with just their immediate families in attendance. After getting married, they decided to live in Ukraine so that Olena could be closer to her family. Scott was initially hesitant to move to another country, but he soon realized that it was the best decision for their relationship and for himself.
They have now been living in Ukraine for over a 7 years and say that they are very happy with their decision. They are both working and enjoying life together in Scott’s new home country.
The culture shock of moving to Ukraine
When I first moved to Ukraine, – says Scott -, everything was so different from what I was used to back in the States. The food, the language, the customs – it was all so new and strange to me. Even simple everyday tasks like going to the grocery store or taking a bus were a challenge at first.
But slowly, over time, I started to adjust. I learned how to navigate my new home and began to appreciate all the unique aspects of Ukrainian culture. From the delicious food to the warm and welcoming people, I fell in love with my new home.
Sure, there are still things that surprise me sometimes – like how early everyone goes to bed here! – but overall I’ve made a great adjustment to life in Ukraine. If you’re thinking of making the move yourself, just be prepared for a bit of culture shock at first. But trust me, it’s worth it!
The pros and cons of living in Ukraine
When deciding whether or not to move to Ukraine, you will need to weigh the pros and cons of living in this country. On the plus side, Ukraine is a beautiful country with a rich culture and history. The cost of living is also relatively low, especially when compared to Western countries. You will also be able to experience true Ukrainian hospitality.
However, there are some downsides to living in Ukraine. The situation in the country is unstable as russia has started open phase of war against Ukraine on February 24, 2022. The economy is also not doing well, which can make finding a job difficult. Additionally, winter can be very harsh in Ukraine, with temperatures often dipping below freezing.
Living in Ukrainian city
Living in a Ukrainian city can be very different from living in an American city. The pace of life is slower and people generally take the time to enjoy life more. There are many wonderful things about living in a Ukrainian city, but there are also some challenges.
One of the biggest challenges can be the language barrier. While many Ukrainians do speak English, it is not always possible to find someone who speaks English fluently. This can make everyday tasks, such as grocery shopping or going to the doctor, quite difficult.
Another challenge can be the lack of amenities that Americans are used to. For example, there may not be as many restaurants or shops available, and public transportation may not be as reliable.
Despite these challenges, living in a Ukrainian city can be a very rewarding experience. Ukrainian cities are full of history and culture, and there is always something new to explore. If you are willing to embrace the challenge, you will find that living in a Ukrainian city can be a truly unique and enriching experience. The bigger the city, the more it is similar to any big American city, with Ukrainian features.
Living in Ukrainian town
– When my husband first moved to Ukraine, we lived in a small town outside of Kyiv, says Olena. – It was a very different experience for us, as we were used to living in a big city. My husband quickly learned that Ukrainians are very hospitable and welcoming people. We made many friends in our neighborhood and everyone was always willing to help us with anything we needed.
Living in a Ukrainian town has its pros and cons. On the plus side, it is very affordable and there is a strong sense of community. However, it can be quite isolating at times as there is not much to do in terms of entertainment or nightlife.
Moved to live in Ukrainian village
– I married a Ukrainian woman and moved to live in her village in the Ivano-Frankivsk Oblast of Ukraine. It was a huge culture shock for me, as an American from New York City, to move to a small village in Ukraine, shares Scott. – But it was also an incredible experience that changed my life forever. It was a conscious choice of my wife and me. We lived in big cities in Ukraine and abroad, tried to live in small towns, but chose to live closer to nature. That is why we moved closer to the forest, mountains, fresh air and peace.
– Living in a Ukrainian village gave me a completely different perspective on life. I was no longer just another foreigner living in Ukraine; I was part of the community. I got to know my neighbors and became friends with them. I learned about the local customs and traditions, and even started to speak some Ukrainian.
It was a difficult adjustment at times, but overall it was an amazing experience that I would never trade for anything.
Ukraine gave me a chance to live close to nature and I am happy
– In Ukraine, my wife and I now live in a small village near the Carpathian Mountains. We have a beautiful view of the mountains from our house. The village is very green and there are many trees and flowers. There are also a lot of birds and other animals. In addition to my beautiful wife, whom I love more than anything else in the world, I have the happiness to live next to the mighty mountains and the power of Ukrainian nature.
– We love nature and we are very happy with my wife to live here. It may seem strange to many Americans, but we have fast satellite Internet and I’m online with my U.S friends when I need. I also work online, having several projects of my own. In addition, my wife and I opened a small farm – we produce home made cheese and even have the first regular customers. Perhaps for the first time in my life I feel such harmony and happiness.
It’s been a while since I moved to Ukraine to live with my Ukrainian wife, and I can say without a doubt that it’s been the best decision of my life. Moving here has allowed me to experience a different culture, meet new people, and learn a new language. But most importantly, it helped me to develop spiritually and improve myself. It’s also been great for my marriage – we’ve never been happier! If you’re thinking about moving to another country to be with your partner, I would highly recommend it.