What will I need to marry Romanian woman?

I mean not only being brave enough to visit Romania and find there a girl who might become your future wife; I do not mean you need to have some financial abilities to do that; I also mean you will need to have official document of yours and also you both – fiancé and bride will have to gather documents needed to provide a marriage ceremony in Romania or in the country of your residence. But that are things you are going to do later. If you got really strong decision to many Romanian girl you have also to know why so many Romanian girls are also looking for the fiancé from abroad.

Romanian women register marriages abroad or in Romania with the guys from other countries because they see the advantages such a marriage could bring them. First of all it is escape from Romania which is considered to be poor even by the local citizens of this country. When moving for permanent leaving to rich western country this means for Romanian girl the same as to say “goodbye” for the poverty and to say “hello” for money and wellness. If you don’t really believe to this fact, I would advise you to search Google for how many forums and pages there are where girls from Romania are in search of foreigner to marry. It is not really going about pure love or stuff like that. LOL, I just wrote here such nonsense, pardon me for that.

When Romanian women are going abroad and find husbands they usually quickly are getting assimilated to foreign culture; it is rare when they are keeping their national traditions except for the cuisine, and only in case if such Romanian woman is good cook and prepared some dishes at home. Quick assimilation helps Romanian women integrate into the cultural society they live in, forget about poverty, forget about complexes and start to dominate above other women in previously foreign country. One of the main keys of such an integration is of course knowledge of the national language of the country of origin of the husband and not only language but also nice accent. I am not trying to say all Romanian women are of this kind, I just express my own opinion that some people might not like. So, let’s get to the point already and think what documents and formal procedures are needed to conduct marriage with the woman from Romania? I will eagerly provide you with such information.

The following information is given for the U.S. citizen who would like to marry Romanian citizen and is taken from the website of the U.S. embassy in Romania. EU citizens are getting married with Romanian citizens (EU citizens as well) in a similar procedure.

Marriages between U.S. and Romanian citizens

The specific requirements for marriage and immigration depend on whether the marriage occurs in Romania or in the United States.

Marriage in the United States (using a K-1 Fiancé Visa):

If your fiancé(e) is not a citizen or legal permanent resident of the U.S. and you plan to get married and reside in the U.S., you must first file an I-129F, Petition for Alien Fiancé, on behalf of your fiancé(e) with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS) Center having jurisdiction over your place of residence. If the petition is approved, your fiancé(e) must then obtain a non-immigrant fiancé visa (K-1) at a U.S. embassy or consulate abroad.

The marriage must take place within 90 days of your fiancé(e) entering the U.S. If the marriage does not take place within 90 days, your fiancé(e) will be required to leave the U.S. It is not possible to obtain an extension of stay in this category.

Following your marriage, in order to continue to live and work in the U.S., your fiancé(e) must apply with USCIS to become a legal permanent resident. Please use this link to the USCIS website to access forms and more information about filling the I-129F petition. 

Note: Your fiancé(e) may enter the U.S. only one time with a fiancé(e) visa. If your fiancé(e) leaves the country before you are married, your fiancé(e) will not be allowed back into the U.S. without a new visa.

Marriage in Romania

Romanian documentary requirements for foreigners wishing to marry a Romanian citizen in Romania:

The Government of Romania legally recognizes only civil marriage ceremonies that are performed in the City Hall in the area where the Romanian citizen resides. Many couples also choose to hold a religious ceremony after the completion of the civil ceremony. The following documents from the U.S. citizen are needed by the Mayor’s Office to authorize marriage to a Romanian citizen:

ALL public documents issued or obtained in the U.S. must be authenticated for use in Romania with an Apostille certificate. The apostille certificate must be affixed to the document by a competent U.S. authority. Each state has a competent authority (generally it is the office of the Secretary of State in the state where the document was issued). For additional information and a list of competent authorities, please use the following link to the website of the Department of State: Apostille Requirements.

Documents required for marriage in Romania of a US citizen:

Certified copy of the birth certificate, authenticated with apostille, plus Romanian translation of the birth certificate obtained from a Romanian Notary Public office.

Affidavit (notarized statement) that the American citizen is free to marry (Certificat de cutuma). The affidavit is obtained from the US Embassy in Bucharest (the American Citizen Services in the Consular Section) by appointment only. To make an appointment, please click here. The fee is 50.00 USD and the US passport must be presented when signing the affidavit.


Prenuptial Certificate (Health Certificate) obtained from a clinic in the Romanian city/town where your marriage will take place.

Proof of termination of any previous marriages, original or certified copy, with a translation in Romanian (i.e. Divorce/Annulment Decree, Death Certificate).

In order to enter the U.S. to reside following a marriage in Romania, your foreign spouse must obtain an immigrant visa. You should first file an I-130, Petition for Alien Relative, on behalf of your spouse with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS) Center having jurisdiction over your place of residence. If the petition is approved, your spouse must then obtain an immigrant visa (IR-1 or CR-1) at a U.S. embassy or consulate abroad. Please visit the website of the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (http://www.uscis.gov) for the forms, required supporting documentation and information on where to file them. The processing time for these petitions varies among Service Centers and also can depend on the circumstances of the individual case.

If you want your spouse to enter the United States before USCIS finishes processing the I-130 and an immigrant visa is issued, you may file an I-129F petition to enable your spouse to apply for a K-3 non-immigrant visa. For information about K-3 visas please see the USCIS and State Department websites. It normally takes eight to twelve weeks from the time the petition is filed with USCIS until this Embassy receives notice of approval for a K-3 petition.

Source of the text in italics: http://romania.usembassy.gov/acs/marriages.html

If to believe the statistics, Romanian women are on the first place as foreign brides Italian men choose for wives. This means not only men from Italy, but also women from Romania are eager to make such serious (and sometimes not) step – to marry foreigner. Of course, not only Italian men choose them for marriage, but also guys from other rich western European countries where there are many Romanian women working; those are Great Britain, France, Germany etc.

Please, share

You may also like...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *